Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Secret Lagoon

I imagine this special place in my head, a secret spot that no one else knows of. I'm not quite sure if this place truly exists in the world, but in my mind, it is beautiful.

I imagine myself floating on my back in the cool, clear water of a breathe-taking lagoon. The lagoon is sequestered in a pocket of woods, protected from the breaking waves of the ocean. Mangrove trees line the lagoon, their finger-like roots submerging below the translucent water and piercing the white, clay bottom. Vines and Spanish moss hang from tree to tree and drape the area with an air of seclusion.

The day has melted into dusk and the faint light illuminates the cool water to reflect the colors of the setting sun. The forest is filled with life as the day comes to an end, waves crash against the jagged rocks just out of reach of the secluded lagoon. But I hear nothing as I wade in the smooth pool.

The air is thick and still but the cool water embraces my submerged body and makes me feel weightless.
The water surrounds my exposed frame, making me feel safe and secure.

The night is settling but I fear nothing. I want to remain in the lagoon forever. I close my eyes and breathe, releasing all my thoughts, all my worries, all my memories. Everything flows out of me and travels out of the protected lagoon into the crashing surf. It is as if life is effortless...

No comments:

Post a Comment